It's that time of year again for fresh veggies! Our favorite farmers' market is open again after a long winter. It actually opened last weekend but we didn't go until this week. We weren't there for the opening rush, so who knows what else was to be had, but we got a few good veggies. Mostly there were salad greens, and since we're growing those ourselves this year we skipped those.
We got some "raw" garlic, meaning it was just picked and still had the stem attached. Fresh garlic is amazing, such a different taste. And different to peel - a lot harder! We grabbed some garlic scrapes also - the curly, green onion-looking things in the picture. These are the top part of the garlic plant, which farmers cut off to direct energy back to the bulb. We tried these last year but back then I just chopped it up like a scallion and added it to a dish. Today we cooked it like asparagus - coated in olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian seasonings and roasted in the oven. It was SO good. The scrapes are only around for a few weeks so I hope we're coming in at the beginning and not the end.
2 comments:
Sounds so yummy! Save me some for when I get there - really, buy some new. I'll bring my appetite.
Nana
Reminds me of my garlic farming days..though I must say that after cutting the scapes off of four acres of garlic they lose a little of their appeal. But only a little!
Post a Comment