Yesterday Cole was diagnosed with an egg allergy. We had been suspicious that he was, because when he had egg (2 times scrambled eggs, 1 time a meringue cookie) he broke out in redness around his mouth. He can tolerate baked goods, so we had put off taking him to an allergist. Well, glad we took him - he had a skin test with severe results... The Dr even said she was surprised that he had such a mild allergic reaction based on these findings.

For those of you lucky enough to have never had an allergy skin test....the top area is where they applied histamine, which is sort of the benchmark for allergies - as in, this is the minimum you'll look like if you're allergic to something.
The second point - which is no reaction - is where they just applied saline to make sure he wouldn't get a false positive because he was allergic to saline. Saline is the medium by which the allergens are applied.
The third point is egg yolk - big reaction.
The fourth point is egg white - biggest reaction.
On a scale of 1-4, the dr said his egg reaction was a 4+!
So now we're going to have to avoid all things eggs. Luckily, most children outgrow this allergy by age 7. He could tolerate baked goods, but there is still some egg protein, though it was broken down by cooking heat. Every time he has some egg, his reaction could get worse, or at the very least it will put off the age at which he will outgrow this. We even now have an epi-pen in case he accidentally has egg with a worse reaction:(
No more cookies, ice cream, chicken fingers (could be battered with eggs), etc... I did find him a birthday cake recipe with no eggs!:) Last weekend Kev and I had eggs from the farmer's market for breakfast, and we found a double yolker - haven't seen one in years! A fond farewell to eggs for momma and dada.
I wanted to get him this cute shirt (from www.jeeto.com) , but Kev said I might as well just put a "kick me" sign on his back:)
7.19.2007
Bye bye, eggies!
Posted by Liz at 7/19/2007 11:02:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my beautiful beautiful baby! I don't know how I'm going to break the new to vavo Lourdes - she is not going to be happy. I can hear her now, "I don't believe that, give him just a little."
Hugs (((()))))
I will figure out a way to make home made chicken fingers with no eggs in the bread crumbs and no "egg dip" for my Coulter. Cause I know he loves them. Then I'll give you the recipe. :<)
It's a good thing he went to the allergist. That is a severe reaction! He's lucky to have such vigilant parents. Love you all!!
Nana Linda
Poor Coulter:( Let me know what happens with the next visit.
Post a Comment